The Gender Equality Initiative in International Affairs seeks to provide the best guidance to help our students pursue careers and internships in the field of gender policy and programming while at the Elliott School and beyond.
We highly recommend current students to view our Careers in Gender Policy & Programming Guideline, which includes useful information about career development resources at the Elliott School, as well as various career paths, jobs, and institutions in the field.
We’ve also compiled helpful tips for job searching and networking during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Maintain a routine for your job search and organize, prioritize, and track communication with potential employers and submitted applications
- Develop expertise about the pandemic, particularly how COVID-19 impacts and intersects with gender issues
- Use this time to develop your social media presence and share timely articles (on LinkedIn and Twitter) about gender policy related to COVID-19 at least once every week
- Reach out to gender experts you’d like to meet – everyone is self-isolating, so it’s a great time to schedule a quick, informal interview via Zoom
- Seek opportunities to develop professional skills that can be used in gender analysis, particularly related to quantitative research
- Take time to refine your resume and customize to specific jobs and organizations – for those interested in positions with the federal government, check out Partnership for Public Service’s advice for building a federal resume
- When networking, be a giver, not a taker – adopt a problem-solving mentality by supporting and informing classmates and colleagues or offer to connect two people with similar interests
- If you haven’t already, sign up for GW Career Connect!
For more information about careers, please contact the Graduate Student Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gender Equality Initiative in International Affairs (GEIA)
Elliott School of International Affairs, GW
1957 E Street NW, Suite 501
Washington, DC 20052
Phone: +1 (202) 994-8483
GEIA BI-WEEKLY BULLETIN
Subscribe to our Bi-Weekly Bulletin for the latest news, events, career postings, and more.